Enjoy Long-Term Gum Health
If you develop inflamed or bleeding gums, you may suffer from periodontal disease. To improve your oral health, Dr. Goguen will suggest ultrasonic scaling.
What Is Ultrasonic Scaling?
When plaque hardens and moves beneath your gumline, and results in gum disease, you require treatment beyond our traditional dental cleaning. Our on-staff periodontist, a specialist in gum disease and treatment, will perform a “deep cleaning” called ultrasonic scaling. This preventive treatment removes the plaque buildup while smoothing any erosion on the surfaces of your teeth.
During your deep cleaning, our periodontist will use an electronic scaler. This is a handheld electronic wand that gently removes plaque. The wand vibrates for improved comfort. For sensitive patients, we may apply a local anesthetic before treatment, and may opt to treat one-quarter of your mouth per visit.
What Are The Benefits Of Ultrasonic Scaling?
Ultrasonic scaling can greatly improve your oral health. Because you cannot treat periodontal disease on your own, a neglected problem will only continue to worsen. Visiting us for a deep cleaning will ensure the following benefits:
- Reduced inflammation
- The removal of new and hardened plaque from your teeth and beneath your gumline
- Ultrasonic offers improved comfort when compared with manual deep cleaning techniques
- Prevention of periodontal disease damage, including tooth loss, gum recession, and jaw damage
Do I Qualify As A Good Candidate For Ultrasonic Scaling?
You make an excellent candidate for ultrasonic scaling if you suffer from gum disease. Call us immediately if you suffer from the following symptoms of gum disease:
- Bad breath or taste in your mouth
- Inflamed gums
- Gums that appear red or purple
- A receding gumline
- Teeth that feel loose or begin to shift apart